Skip to content
©2019 FCS Solutions Ltd
Advantages and Disadvantages of Porcelain Tile
Advantages of Porcelain Tile
- Porcelain tile flooring is one of the most durable of flooring types. This means it is ideal for areas with high foot traffic and heavy equipment. If it does become damaged or chipped the color runs through the tile so it’s not easy to spot. It’s also relatively easy to repair as you can replace tiles as needed.
- It is extremely dense making it unlikely for moisture and staining agents to penetrate the surface. This also means that maintenance is quick and easy.
- If it’s installed and maintained correctly, porcelain tile can last decades.
- Porcelain tiles are manufactured in large sizes with many different styles.
Disadvantages of Porcelain Tile
- Installation can be daunting and laborious due to the incredibly dense and heavy material. Without the proper knowledge and equipment, it can be impossible. Also, due to the weight, you must make sure that your subfloor is strong enough to handle it. If not then you will need additional support beams under the sub-flooring.
- They are pricey, however, the longevity and quality of the tiles make up for this.
- Many people attempt to install porcelain tiles by themselves to reduce on cost but often make mistakes that can compromise the integrity and final outcome.
- It is difficult to know exactly what you are purchasing when buying porcelain tile. There are no clear regulations so it’s difficult to know which characteristics your tile will have.
- Glossy porcelain tile is often slick and therefore extremely slippery when wet. This can come with the personal or financial cost when not dealt with properly.
- If you are confident in your ability to install it yourself, ask the manufacturer how to install, not the company you bought it from. Also, ensure that it is sealed extremely well so the grout stays clean and new looking. We would recommend hiring professionals whenever dealing with porcelain tile.
- Always purchase from a reputable and knowledgeable source that can help guide you to any answers you may need during the installation process.
- For most residential uses, ceramic tile is all you need as porcelain tile is heavy duty. If you would like to use this tile in your home we recommend that you research and consult about the type of tile to use as there are many qualities that porcelain tile can have.
- Stay safe. If your porcelain tile is slippery when wet let us know and we can help set up a custom anti-slip program for your flooring. This includes getting a slip meter reading report to ensure that your floors are operating in the safe zone.
- Don’t forget to purchase our FC110 Vinyl, Tile & Stone Cleaner to keep your tile clean and streak-free!